Sunday, September 28, 2008

New sites, new experiences...

I had a pretty fulfilling weekend... went to the Louvre on Friday night (since I've decided that I at least want to try to see it all) and then was invited out for drinks and a Parisian apartment party by my friend Tory.

First, we went out to a bar called La Perle in le Marais (3rd arrondissement). Apparently, that's where everyone hangs out because I don't remember the last time I saw a bar that crowded (not counting Forum, of course). Then we headed over the apartment party.

At first, I was a little uncomfortable because I was afraid that I would stick out like a sore thumb due to my blantant American-ness (is that a word?) and my serious lack of the French tongue. However, everyone was extremely nice and hosts were very inviting (not to mention the fact that everyone pretty much spoke English, though I still felt bad that I couldn't speak to them en Francais). Fast forward through a few hours of dancing, drinking and chatting, we headed home. I ended up sharing a cab with a Swedish girl who lives right up the block from me, so... potentially a new friend!

Today, I did my new thing of taking a weekly long walk. Today, I chose to walk around the 5th arrondissement, so I took the Metro to Gare d'Austerlitz and took a walk through the Jardin des Plantes and past the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle. Then I walked up to the Pantheon and actully went in this time. I checked out the crypt where all of the famous people of France are buried (Braille, Zola, the Curies) and thought it would be pretty cool to be honored by being buried there (granted, you're dead, but it's still a nice honor).

Finally, I took a seat in the Jardin du Luxembourg, where they had a band playing near the fountain and I read for a little while. To top off my night, I'm headed over to my aunt's apartment for dinner and some drinks.

No comments: