Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Aaaammmmsterdaaam (red lights, coffee shops and beer, oh my!)

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning and hopped a flight to Amsterdam. I met Marisa and her friend Sharon at the airport there. We took the train to our hotel then went out to meet Sharon's friend Jemma (who is studying abroad in Amsterdam) for a pancake lunch (think: salty or sweet crepes - only bigger!). Jemma showed us around a bit, then we went out on our own to explore. We took a boat tour that took us through the canals and gave us a bit of history (they explained that the large hooks on the gables of the buildings are there so people can move in and out, since their stairways are so narrow). That night, we had dinner at a bar near the red light district (believe it or not, it's difficult NOT to go out around there - it's huge!)

The next day, we started out at the Anne Frank House. This is where she and her family hid out during WWII. I think I was too young when I read her book to understand what an amazing writer she was - she was only 13 years old!

That afternoon, we headed over to the Heineken Factory to see how the famous beer gets made. We got to see how the beer was processed and what goes into it. If anyone goes on the tour, DO NOT eat the hops... I wish I had gotten a picture of Marisa's face as she munched on a large pinch of that green stuff...



I left Amsterdam early the next morning to go back to Paris. Sharon and Marisa stayed an extra day then headed to Paris as well. Marisa stayed with me and went to do her sightseeing thing while I worked during the day. Tuesday night was St. Patrick's Day and I found an Expat Party in Pigalle (oddly enough, right next to the Moulin Rouge). Naturally, we made Marisa a t-shirt
<---------------------- Then we drank and danced the night away:









(note to reader: I've obviously left parts out this entry... I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess what happened...)

More pics:
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=397298016/a=145697016_145697016/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

No comments: